JOB ID PR-03
You will join the Communications department and will design the structure of the messages exchanged between Rover and Ground Segment during the mission. Some elements that you will define are: size and structure of data packets, error estimation, error detection and correction methods, link budget estimations. Part of your tasks will also be making sure that our communications are respecting existing protocols. You will work in close contact with both the Ground Segment and the Software Department, which will implement your design into code.
During a major space conference this autumn, Lunar Zebro will demonstrate physical and operational rovers working together. This event is also the perfect opportunity to show a Virtual Reality environment, in which visitors can interact with our rovers in real lunar conditions or on the moon.
As a VR artist intern, you would be in charge of creating this environment, adapting the CAD model of our rover to the VR requirements, and animating them, such that the user can interact with them. You will have an initial storyboard guideline to follow, but you will be given the opportunity to discuss possible improvements. You will be given access, where needed, to relevant software of our rover, such as the locomotion, or the (pseudo-)swarming software.
You will be working within the ATG offices in Noordwijk, in collaboration with SCN Avatar, and you will be mentored by them. You might collaborate with the Science Center at the TU Delft, and other organisations. You will be working directly with the Media Team of Lunar Zebro. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with different departments within the team.
- Must currently be a student pursuing either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a technical (e.g.: software engineering, game development) or related field, and as such an internship required by a study program.
- Must be allowed to perform an internship in the Netherlands without additional provisions being required for residence or work permits, etc.
- Have the right communication skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge of Unreal (preferred) or Unity.
- Ideally have some projects they can show us.
- Pragmatic attitude.
- Good communication skills in English.
- Personal initiative and thirst for improvement.
- Eagerness to learn many things in a short period of time.
- Well-organized work style.
- Capable of working in an ambitious team.
- Willing to take initiative and responsibility
- Experience with creating Virtual Reality games or experiences.
- Experience creating tools or procedural generation of assets.
- Experience with physically based rendering.
- Experience with writing shaders
- Experience with lighting
- Experience with Unreal Engine (and ideally Blueprints or C++)
- Experience with CAD (as in, 3D asset creation for physical objects)
Full-time. Financial compensation will likely be provided
A minimum of 3 months. Starting as soon as possible.
Delft, Netherlands (with offices in Noordwijk, Netherlands)